AtmosClear works in two main areas: biomass markets and emissions. In biomass, since the fall of 2010, AtmosClear has been exploring biomass business opportunities in the US, Canada and West Africa. During this time, we have spoken and worked with various experts and technology partners, and conducted extensive research. We are now focusing on developing a few specific businesses in Canada and the US. We also work with our technology partners to market technologies for power and heat generation using biomass.
AtmosClear was established in 2003 to work in the North American emissions markets, in particular to bring emission reduction projects to the carbon and clean energy markets. We pride ourselves on long-standing experience working in both voluntary and regulatory markets for emission reductions since the early 1990s, and bringing to the market high-quality projects that reduce emissions and substitute fossil fuels with renewable sources of energy. We now have extensive commodities marketing, trading, risk management and lending/credit expertise to support our expansion into biomass markets. Much of our focus at this time is on:
- developing businesses that use biomass for power and heat generation
- project development and investing for the evolving North American markets for emission reductions
- exploring biomass feedstock aggregation opportunities
- green energy (power and fuels) project development and investing
We work with project developers on financing structures and help them to secure carbon and other types of financing in the pre-compliance and compliance markets. In Canada, we are actively developing a pipeline of green energy and other projects with emission benefits for investment. AtmosClear has a joint venture arrangement with a Canadian company operating in Alberta and British Columbia to develop biomass business opportunities, and emission reduction projects in the main Canadian carbon markets and the evolving market for forestry offset projects and biomass use. On this site, we provide:
- information on how to work with us on green projects that reduce emissions and generate clean heat and power from biomass
- details on our biomass services
- links to resources on the causes and impacts of global warming and climate change
- tips on how you (and your organization) can reduce your emissions of GHGs through personal and corporate action, and by purchasing emission reductions
- a calculator to estimate your emissions, and
- links in our Business Solutions section to sites so you can estimate your organization's emissions.
Due to changing market conditions, we no longer sell "offsets" or "carbon credits" directly to consumers. However, we work with operators of retail and corporate programs to reduce emissions and use verified emission reductions to reduce their carbon footprints.
- Cecilia (Sid) Embree, President, AtmosClear Canada Inc., President, CoolClimate Holding, Inc, which owns CoolClimate LLC. Sid is an environmental business professional has over 20 years experience working in carbon, renewable energy and forestry projects and products. In the early 1990s, Sid began advising governments and companies, and has been an advisor to a leading investment bank (IFC) since 1997. She set up two funds for the IFC to purchase +$100M of carbon credits in emerging markets and Eastern Europe. And both with the IFC and her own company, AtmosClear (founded 2003) has been responsible for carbon project origination, baselines assessment, contract structuring and risk management for +$20M in carbon finance in various sectors (e.g., biomass cogen, landfill gas capture/utilization, biogas capture/utilization, wind and hydro power project aggregation, coal mine methane, N2O destruction) including contracts requiring security against pre-payment.
Sid was one of the early leaders in the emerging North American carbon market putting emission reduction projects through independent verifications, enhancing the credibility of the voluntary carbon market. Since the mid-1990s, she has evaluated hundreds of renewable energy, forestry and agriculture business plans, advised project and business developers in structured and negotiated contracts, optimizing revenues and managing investment risks. With her business partner in AtmosClear Renewables, Sid is currently engaged in market research and developing business opportunities for investments in British Columbia’s biomass sector. Sid’s recent activities include aggregation of biomass for fuel production, finding solution to address logistics challenges, marketing industrial biomass-based heat and power generation technologies in Canada and the US, and supporting the development of large scale biofuels projects using farm waste and wood fiber as feedstock. She is also advising on the design, structure and pipeline/portfolio for a multi-million dollar climate bond to finance selected “avoided deforestation” (REDD) projects in emerging markets. She has an Honours Bachelor of Environmental Studies (Urban & Regional Planning and Environmental & Resources Management) from the University of Waterloo (Canada), a Master of Environmental Studies from York University (Canada), and an MBA (Finance & International Business) from New York University (USA). Sid has owned a Toyota hybrid since 2007.
- June Kilcolm represents AtmosClear in western Canada, and links our business with our joint venture partners in the Oil Patch. She is based in Calgary, and is responsible for project management and providing services in western Canada for AtmosClear. June specializes in strategic planning, environmental management, regulatory policy and deregulation, particularly for energy and natural resource companies. On climate change, she has worked on development of GHG management strategies, design, development and brokering of offset projects for many of Canada's largest energy companies, including Suncor Energy, PanCanadian Petroleum, TransAlta, and SaskPower.
- Phyllis Casey came to Atmosclear in 2010, after 25 years in the Commodity Finance and Commodity Trading units of Fleet Financial Group, Bank of America, and Banco Santander. Her previous experiences include structuring financing packages, business development, managing commodity price risk and commodity trading. She managed relationships with commercial users of metals including over $125Million commercial lending portfolio, negotiated with mining companies, central banks, bullion dealers and storage and transport companies around the world. Phyllis is on the US marketing team of AtmosClear and partners with Sid in Atmosclear Renewables which assists biomass producers in finding technology partners and end users for their crops and products. In 2010, using her commodity background, Phyllis supported the development of the financial model for AtmosClear’s compliance unit purchase service developed for Canadian buyers of compliance units. In 2011 she worked with a group of environmental experts in developing a business model for a proposed new carbon vehicle, and more recently has been consulting with a biomass to energy project in Northeastern US.
Perry Toms advises on business development, strategy and fundraising for cleantech and renewable energy business, projects and technology developers. Perry has held positions with conventional and renewable energy companies, including roles as Executive Director of Novera Energy, President of Ad Vantage Strategies Ltd which included assignments as Director ENMAX Energy, President of ABG Biodiesel Pty Ltd.'s North American subsidiaries, and Vice President Wave Energy Technologies Inc. Perry has developed energy projects in North America, Asia & Europe (wind, waste to energy, landfill gas and natural gas cogeneration, biofuels, including emission reduction projects). One of his current areas of focus is developing Steeper Energy, which has a patented technology to convert wood and other biomass to oil, such as bunker fuel.
For forestry projects, we work with experts who have extensive experience in seedling production, project development, implementation and management, data collection and inventory development and modeling, protocol and methodology development and use (as per requirements of various standards and registries) and marketing. One associate has more than 15 years’ international experience in voluntary projects, Kyoto compliance mechanisms and bioenergy. Our preferred resource for forestvinventory preparation has been in the business for more than 100 years!
- Jan Barton provides marketing strategy and tactical advice. She is a marketing professional with VP level experience including for marketing, promotion agencies, advertising agencies and for a number of start-ups. Jan has extensive experience in consumer packaged goods, including branded and private label, as well as with diverse new products and alliance development. She has worked for major corporations and agencies including: P&G, Wrigley, Frito-Lay, Kelloggs, CPC/Best Foods, BBDO, Leo Burnett, Tracy Locke, Cliffstar, and Sterling Worldwide.
- Kirsten Embree, Vice-President, Corporate Affairs & Business Development, AtmosClear Canada Inc. Kirsten provides input on strategic issues. She is Partner at Fraser Milner & Casgrain. She has a BA in Communications from Carleton University, a LLB from McGill University and a Masters from the University of Southern California.
AtmosClear advisors and associates specialize in: carbon offset project origination in various countries throughout the world including in Canada and Asia/Australasia; global energy business development and M&A; carbon offset portfolio management; and private equity investing. To contact us, please send an email to inquiry (a) atmosclear.org or contact us by phone at 888-393-6210